Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Small steps

I moved the plant, re-potted it. All by myself.

 

Monkey helped me pick the pot, but since we only have adult size gardening gloves, I was the one to actually re-pot it.

 

I feel compelled to point out that I have never ever done anything like this before. I wouldn't have even known how to go about doing it. Like, do you just get the root-bound cluster of soil from the old container and stick it into the middle of the pre-filled pot? Luckily, the bag of the potting mix had instructions right on it, and I followed them. There is truly a first time for everything.

 

I didn't notice the new buds until this morning.

 

There is three of them, and I am suddenly ever so slightly more invested in not having killed the plant in the process of re-potting it. I guess we will know soon enough.


I am taking a sick day tomorrow. I have been stressed and overwhelmed, and have had a common condition of pregnancy (arrhythmia) act up that can be aggravated by being tired or dehydrated. I am usually pretty well hydrated, but I will work on floating myself while getting up as little as possible tomorrow. Can be tricky, what with a somewhat predictable need to, throughout the day, let all that water go, but I think I will manage. I have been in a much more cheerful mood since deciding to take the day. Go figure. And I hope to write a real post then, and to catch up with everyone's blogs.

30 comments:

luna said...

good job on the re-planting! enjoy your time off tomorrow.

Rosepetal said...

Great job. I love it as orange marigolds are the flower I picked for my own A. Mine haven't flowered yet - I grew them from seeds too - also a first for me. (Or let's say the last time I grew anything from seed I was significantly shorter than I am now).

CLC said...

Nice job on the replanting. What a fun thing for you two to do together. Enjoy your day off.

Thanks for the comments on my blog. I am going to take your suggestiong and envision the pathologist as a caring soul who treated her with dignity.

Amelie said...

I don't think I've ever repotted a plant. Good to know they come with instructions.
Enjoy your day off!

Tash said...

Looks good!

Enjoy your day off.

c. said...

Good job re: the re-planting. Hope it sees many blooms.

Also hope you are feeling rested and better soon.

Aurelia said...

Nice job with the plants!

niobe said...

A sick day. What a great idea.

kate said...

looks great!

Jenny F. Scientist said...

Fortunately for you, marigolds are very, very hardy. I expect it will continue to give lovely blooms. Nice pot!

Magpie said...

Sweet.

And yes - generally you just stick the root ball in the new dirt. If it looks very potbound, you might want to fluff the roots a bit - to make sure they know they can move outwards.

Juicy said...

Pretty flowers! I like flowers but don't enjoy the stuff that comes along w/ gardening. Good luck keeping it alive and growing! :)

(here from NCLM)

Bon said...

rest to you, today. and what joy to do something well, to not kill that plant! you and i have similar gardening backgrounds, i can tell. ;)

janis said...

Thinking of you, and wishing you a beautiful rest day.

Nicole said...

Plant looks great! Glad you are getting a day off. Please get lots of rest and hydration.

My Reality said...

You never know, you may just become a gardener yet!

Enjoy your day off tomorrow.

missing_one said...

There was a book called "stick a geranium in your hat and be happy'

so I hope a marigold will do the same.

It made me happy reading this anyhow
:)

Nicky said...

Here from NCLM. Beautiful job with the plant! I do a fair amount of gardening, and it sounds like you did it "right". Water it well (just like you're keeping yourself hydrated!), let the soil drain a bit, and enjoy!

k@lakly said...

The flowers look great! I hope they keep blooming for you. Good for you for taking a day, you NEED to take care of you. Looking forward to the post, but I love all the photos too:)

Alice said...

I love the flowers. I couldn't do anything like that but I'd like to be able to.

Alice

Coggy said...

I love the pot. I hope your day off was just what you needed. x x x

alicia said...

good job! I love those pics, the blue background is awesome!

here from NaComLeavMo

Robyn said...

Hello.

I am a mother to 4 children, 3 living. I lost my 2nd child to stillbirth. I am also a surrogate to two very wonderful and adorable guys.

I liked your points on gay marriage before. You also did a very nice job repotting the plant - I'm sure it is very happy. :)

Kim said...

Hope you enjoyed your day off! I am missing the green thumb too! Good job replanting! NLCM

LAS said...

Hope you are feeling better after a day off!!

Lori said...

I love your little potted marigold. It's so cute. And I am a horticultural clod as well. I always say that it is survival of the fittest around this house when it comes to plants.

I hope you enjoyed your day off!

Lori said...

I was/am not a gardener.

But I found that doing gardening activities was very healing for me during IF stuff.

Congrats on all that life you got going on!

Dreams Come True said...

Good job on the replanting! I just did something similar, only outside, so yay on them taking! :D


(NCLM)

DC said...

I hope you're feeling better. :)

Katie said...

Via NaComLeavMo..
Good job on the plant. Sometimes a day off to regroup can be exactly what you need. Enjoy it.