Monday, July 9, 2007

The last battle, it's the hardest*

This is my last week of working at my current job. I have a few things to wrap up, so, naturally, I am procrastinating.

Next week is the teh fun vacation (see #7), and I am looking forward to that. But you'd think I would move faster to wrap up stuff at work. And you would be, what's the word?.. oh, yes-- wrong.

And just so this post isn't entirely content-free, here's another painting from that trip to the museum a couple of weeks back. I even believe that I got the colors pretty right on this one. It is by Renoir, and is called Onions, although there is also garlic. But I have to admit that I would've missed the garlic if not for the plaque next to the painting. No deep message, I think, just inspired skill that takes my breath away.


And, what the hell, from the same trip, evidence that stupid prep boys have existed for some time now:
 
Yes, this is 19th century graffiti on the wall of an ancient Egyptian temple. I would just bet that Mr. Livingston, on Christmas break from his prep school in England, had himself a rollicking good time at a wild New Year party the night before. It is even possible that his girlfriend participated in the "Prep School Girls Gone Wild" pencil drawing contest.

Ok, Julia, back to work.


*If you speak The Old Country language, yes, it is the reference you think it is.

3 comments:

Sara said...

You know my favorite parts of my trip to Vatican City? 1) seeing nuns doing laundry from my high vantage point of St. Peters. Everyone else was ooing and ahing over the gorgeous view, and there's me: "ooh look! that nun's hanging sheets on a laundry line!" and 2) sticking my head behind a statue while waiting in the interminable line to see the Sistine Chapel and finding, "John was here, 1899." By that point, weeks into my trip across Italy I was really feeling like if you've seen one church you've seen them all.

S said...

Heh. I love it. 19th-century graffiti.

niobe said...

It's so easy to do almost anything except the work that you're supposed to be doing. Hope you're being more successful than I am in finishing all. that. stuff.