The tests are back. So, yesterday at 4pm
hCG was negative
Which, as far as I can tell means one of two wildly divergent things. Best case: second ovulation, and the egg is not even doomed yet. Worst case: revenge of the PCOS, with no ovulation this cycle at all. Which pretty much would mean that after years of working hard to minimize the number of doctors I have to have close, personal relationships with, or deal with at all, I would finally be forced to find an RE.
Way back when my PCOS was diagnosed, I had numbers you could put in a textbook-- insulin resistance, elevated testosterone and estrogen, and LH that stuttered into the half-on position and got stuck there, no ovulation, no passing go, no collecting $200. Nearly a year of dedicated low-carbing, vitamin and such taking, exercising, etc. later I finally started to ovulate, and my LH was doing what it is supposed to do-- start low, rise, fall, trigger ovulation, rinse, repeat.
With my jumpy thyroid (which mean jumpy body temps), charting would be much like Lady Macbeth getting up every morning and forgoing her morning cup of tea in favor of intentionally smearing blood all over her hands. Or nothing short of a recipe for driving myself mad, and fast. So I usually go by the symptoms. The symptoms that I learned to recognize by correlating them with results of blood tests, and thus, predicting LH behavior, not ovulation per se. So if I got stuck in this freakazoid position again, I don't really know what to do except find an RE. Which stresses me out because 1) I've had loads of bad luck finding doctors who I like, mostly, I admit, because 2) I refuse to not worry my pretty litte head about things; not to mention that 3) in my experience, wait times for good specialists around here what's the word?.. oh, yes-- suck, they suck, in that they tend to approach the length of the elephant gestation period.
Looking at this handy graphic and this most informative chart, I am worried that the relatively low progesterone number supports the raging PCOS hypothesis, rather than second ovulation hypothesis. On the other hand I am having weird sharpish pain in my left side, and I am trying to talk myself into believing it to be ovulation pain. And this, sad as it is, is what is keeping me relatively sane for now.
In the end, the plan from this point on is pretty simple: take another set of blood tests next Tuesday to see both what LH is doing and whether progesterone becomes elevated, which would indicate that ovulation took place. If it does, we wait to pee on yet another stick. If it doesn't, we drink more pink grapefruit margaritas (those are seriously good, yo) and look for an RE.